Peer Support Specialist
Posted 11/15/2023 | Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Organization: Community-based Alliance of Rural Peer Support South Carolina
Organization Address: Florence & Darlington Counties
Job Description: Under general supervision of the Executive Director, position provides community-based recovery support services including peer navigation of resources, treatment/housing referrals, and harm reduction services. Through community outreach efforts, position also identifies new HIV- and HCV-diagnosed individuals and connects them to treatment and/or other resources where appropriate. Position serves as a valuable resource in the community by creating a safe space where individuals and their families can obtain help and support by providing professionally appropriate and ethical services.
• Establishes and maintains relationships within the community to provide testing, harm reduction services, education, and peer support services.
• Executes a minimum of one testing event per week (includes going to recovery houses, soup kitchens, etc.).
• Provides services in each county a minimum of once a week.
• Develops and maintains a community resource guide.
• Maintains a testing spreadsheet showing when a testing event occurred and how many were tested for organizational purposes (separate from DHEC/DAODAS-required reports).
• Connects individuals with appropriate prevention and treatment resources when needed.
• Connects individuals with higher levels of appropriate care when required according to testing results.
• Remains current on all DHEC and DAODAS requirements for testing and communicates new protocols and trainings to appropriate staff.
• Completes all DHEC/DAODAS reports in a timely manner.
• Educates individuals served on safe practices (including safe sexual practices and safe using practices that involve fentanyl test strips, sterile supplies, and Narcan).
• Maintains adequate supplies for the testing program, including ordering supplies.
• Maintains peer support certification, including all required CEUs.
• Participates in a minimum of one biweekly peer support specialist educational meeting (e.g., DAODAS peer support meeting, ECHO meeting).
• Facilitates group meetings as scheduled.
• Provides peer navigation services as needed based on organizational/individual needs.
• Provides peer support services as needed and documents appropriately.
• Communicates effectively, comprehensively, and in a timely fashion.
• Provides appropriate harm reduction supplies following organization policy.
• Participates in weekly staff meetings and individual supervision honestly and openly.
• Adheres to APSC Code of Conduct for CPSS in all service provision.
• Performs other duties as requested.
• South Carolina Peer Support Specialist Certification (CPSS) or ability to attain this certification within 90 days of hire.
• Effective and professional communication skills.
• Must have a personal vehicle, valid South Carolina driver's license, and insurance coverage.
• Ability to lift and transport equipment for testing and community events.
• Ability to use Microsoft Office programs/e-mail/and baseline computer skills.
• Ability to work outside in all weather conditions.
Salary: $17.00 per hour
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until position is filled.Apply Now